Sunday, March 05, 2006

my favourite comics vol. 2


Sorry about the lateness of this "weekly" post. But for the next of this series i am examining the comic "True Story Swear to God." By Tom Beland. this is a really neat series about how he met the love of his life Lily, and his new life in Puerto Rico. It is a fun series with great characters and art It is one of the few comics that I wait for with bated breath, as opposed to just getting it in the superior trade paperback format (more on that in another post). It can't really be described or summed up as I did with cerebus so the most I can suggest is go to his site and check it out. URL www.tombeland.com. A net anecdote however is how I first came to discover the comic. It was at the second comicon that I attended, 2002, and I was looking over the independant creators booths. When Tom Belands wife Lily spotted my name. she mentioned to me that Tom's number one fanboy and I shared a name. small world. She asked If I was Puerto Rican, as the family name Arroyo is prominant there. I mentioned that I am however mexican. She then sold me on the first issue of the comic. later in the con I finally met Tom himself, who was at a eisner nominee panel as his book was nominated for an eisner award for best romance comic. and bought the next three issues of the book and was given three of his zines as he wanted to lighten his load going back to puerto rico. I plan to send him my zines now that I finally have four in thanks. I've been hooked ever since meeting him again at the next comicon. he did not attend 2004, and I missed 2005. but I feel that this story truly shows how much of an impression you can make upon a reader with a con appearance

No comments: